IT and Tech Workers / Professionals in India are always looking for excellent opportunities to catapult their careers. Canada has the most to offer, whether in terms of the job prospects, remuneration, or professional growth curve. When you apply for a worker visa in Canada and get through, your options go way beyond conventional IT and tech jobs.
With the proliferation of AI and digitization across multiple fields, the horizons of tech workers have considerably expanded. The hiring of tech workers across various industries is at an all-time high. Today, the kind of career growth, salary, perks, and standard of life offered by Canada is unrivalled.
Why are Tech Professionals Keen on Migrating to Canada?
- Considering the ICT Sector (Innovation, Science, and Technology), the estimated annual revenue is 230 billion dollars. It gets compounded by a growth projection of 5% annually.
- There are close to 50,000 companies in the tech sector and allied industries. In most Canadian provinces, the population density is low, and skilled IT workers are sparse. Hence, many Canadian provinces are keen on inviting immigrants to settle there and contribute to the economy effectively. Canada makes it possible for international workers to move to the country with an IT worker visa to Canada. Essentially, the process has become hassle-free via the Express Entry and FSW (Federal Skilled Worker) Programs.
- Despite the Covid-19 pandemic, the tech job market in Canada has been multiplying. In 2020 and 2021 (despite the pandemic), tech industry employment increased by 1.3%. Now that we are hopefully past the worst phases of the pandemic, these numbers will only multiply exponentially.
- The demand for data analysts, software designers, cloud computing experts, and coding professionals is exceptionally high. So is the need for digital marketing professionals and AI/robotics experts.
- Over the last decade, the Canadian government has heavily invested in the IT sector. These include the Strategic Innovation Fund, the Innovation and Skills Plan, and the Global Talent Stream, to name a few.
- In the last few years, both the US and UK have been restricting jobs for immigrants. On the contrary, Canada is amongst the few highly developed and prosperous nations with a highly inclusive/friendly immigration program. The government is keen on harnessing the skills of immigrants to bolster the economy. It provides a harmonious, multi-cultural environment for tech innovation to prosper.
Which Canadian Cities are Ideal for Tech Jobs?
The tech industry is at its zenith in multiple cities and provinces of Canada. If we speak of cities, Toronto (capital of the Ontario Province) is the most prolific IT hub today, closely followed by the coastal city of Vancouver in British Columbia. Next in line is the national capital Ottawa situated in the Ontario province.
The fourth most popular Canadian IT destination is Montreal, in the French-speaking province of Quebec. Amongst the top global technology markets, these four Canadian cities are highly rated for the catapulting number of IT businesses and job opportunities.
Exploring the Best Canadian Immigration Pathways for Tech Workers
If you are a skilled tech professional with good English language or French language proficiency, there are many suitable immigration pathways. Based on your age, professional qualifications, experience, and overall background, your visa consultant can help you pursue the right stream.
Express Entry Program:
The express entry program is one of the fastest immigration pathways to get a permanent residence visa in Canada. If you are planning to apply through this stream, your eligibility criteria should meet the FSW (Federal Skilled Workers) Program. Your immigration consultant will help you create an Express Entry Profile. This approach will remain online for one year from the date of application.
A Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score determines your chances of being accepted through this stream. Even then, there is no certainty. The selection criteria typically depend on the specific vacancies, interview process, the validity of the documents, etc.
Provincial Nomination Program:
The provincial governments are authorized to nominate candidates based on their local economy/industry requirements. Employers go through the express entry profiles and forward the suitable ones to their respective provincial governments for further consideration.
If you receive a nomination from any provincial government or employer, this will be the penultimate stage. The final phase would be to apply for permanent residence with the Canadian government. Hence, the PNP immigration stream is somewhat lengthier than the Express Entry Program.
IEC Program (International Experience Canada):
This program is an apt opportunity for young students and professionals who wish to acquire Canadian work experience. IEC Program is one of the few programs wherein you can get a Canadian open work permit without having a job offer.
The period could range from 1 to 2 years, wherein you can stay there and search for a job. Even if you are not looking to settle permanently, 12 to 24 months of work experience can boost your resume.
Global Talent Stream:
The Canadian government initiated this immigration program in 2017. The intention was to fast-track the visa applications of skilled tech professionals from across the globe. This stream is ideal for Canadian businesses/employers that cannot find suitable
Canadian candidates for tech job profiles. GTS ensures that these employers don’t suffer because of the tedious and lengthy visa procedures of prospective foreign candidates.
Considering its alluring tech industry boom, getting a permanent residence visa in Canada is not a far-fetched notion. Most Canadian employers (in conjunction with their respective provincial governments) are keen on hiring skilled foreign workers.
If you are keen on pursuing Canadian immigration, seeking assistance from a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) is suggested. Before you formally sign up for their services, make sure the ICCRC has recently renewed its license.
The Immigration Consultant of Canada Regulatory Council is the legal body that authorizes immigration consultants to facilitate Canadian immigration services. Liaising with an authorized RCIC is the fastest and most cost-efficient way to attain your Canadian immigration goals.