Canada Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
Overview of Post-Graduation Work Permit
Students who graduated with a degree/diploma from a specific Designated Learning Institution can apply for a post-graduation work permit in Canada. But, applicants can apply for the work permit within 180 days of graduation or the date of receiving their transcript.
Students who have received a post-graduation work permit in Canada can stay for a maximum of 3 years. Canada’s post-graduate work permit enables the candidates to get a step closer to achieving a permanent resident status.
Over the years, there have been a few alterations in Canada’s post-graduate work permit. The prime example of this would be the temporary work permit program for international students impacted by the covid-19 pandemic. This temporary work permit opened around January 27, 2021, and helped nearly 52,000 candidates.
Eligibility to Apply PGWP
- Applicants should be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants should complete at least eight months or longer program in any Designated Learning Institute offering a Degree/Diploma or Certificate.
- Applicants should have a valid study permit with a valid visitor record.
- Applicants should have maintained full-time status for each semester while studying, and only the final semester can be part-time.
- If you complete a particular course or program requiring eight months within six months via an accelerated program, you may be eligible to apply for a Canada post-study work visa.
- Suppose an applicant transferred from one college to another college that is not a designed learning institution. In such a case, only the total months of studies with a DLI will be calculated.
- Applicants can apply for the Canada post-study work visa by extending their stay via visitor card. Or, they can come back to their native country and then apply for a post-graduation work permit.
Validity of Post-Graduation Work Permit
The Government of Canada offers a post-graduation work permit to candidates to plan their long-term careers. Candidates can apply for jobs in Canada and earn professionally. They can also gain a permanent resident status as various immigration programs reward candidates with work experience in Canada.
Since it is an open work permit, candidates do not have to worry about the location. They can apply for a job in any province or territory. Also, the employer and candidates can stop worrying about the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
But, the validity of a post-graduate work permit can vary and depend on the following factors:
- If the study time is less than one year but greater than eight months, the post-graduate work permit will only be valid for one year.
- If the study time is greater than one year and less than two years, such candidates’ post-graduate work permit validity will be equivalent to the length of their study program.
- Candidates will only get a post-graduate work permit for three years if their length of the study program is for two years or more.
Candidates only get a post-graduate work permit if their college or university falls under the category of Designated Learning Institutes. Hence, it is best to confirm with the learning institution you choose before taking an admission if they are a DLI.
Eligible Colleges or Universities
Here is how you learn if a particular college or university is a Designated Learning Institution:
- Public and Private Secondary Institution: Public institutions including a college or university, a school for learning trading, technical institutes, CEGEP (Only for Quebec), etc. In addition, it also includes private learning institutions that operate as per similar regulations as public institutions in Quebec.
- Post-secondary institution or private secondary in Quebec: This includes learning institutions providing relevant programs covering over 900 hours of studies for a diploma or vocational studies course.
- Private Canadian institutions regulated by provincial statute: Such institutions offer degrees but are limited to only a few programs. It can include a bachelor’s, doctoral, or master’s degree that is only authorised by the provincial government.
- Applying for a post-graduate work permit can be an exhaustive process, and any discrepancies in the application can jeopardise your chances of getting the permit. Hence, it is recommended to seek immigration services for Canada.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How does a post-graduate work permit help with Canada permanent residency?
There are stellar immigration programs offering for candidates with work experience in Canada, including
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- Quebec Immigration Options
You can also apply for another permit, encompassing LMIA and LMIA exempt work permits.
How long does the PGWP process take?
Acquiring a post-graduate work permit can take around 80-180 days. You get 180 days to apply for a post-graduate work permit after completing your degree, and if your study work visa has not expired, you can work in Canada while waiting for your PGWP.
Before, you had to be in the country to apply for a PGWP. But now, you can come back to your native country and apply for a PGWP from there. But, the immigration bodies may require some additional documents if you are applying for a permit outside Canada.
How many times can I apply for a post-graduation work permit?
Only once! Hence, if you plan to pursue further studies in Canada, it is best to plan ahead and apply for PGWP accordingly. Also, more extended study programs grant you longer validity for PGWP, so take such points into consideration.
Get in touch with our best immigration consultants to learn about the requirements and process to apply for a PGWP.
Croyez Immigration is helping in every possible aspect to fulfill your dream for work and settle in your dream country. We are assisting you with all programs like Express entry, General Skilled migration and Temporary visa. Nowadays its become a land of opportunity for the immigrants it’s time to take the opportunity and utilize it. We have an expert team to guide your application with value-added services. If you think to adapt a great lifestyle in Canada & Australia then Croyez Immigration is the right place to start.