What is IELTS
WHAT IS IELTS: MEANING & DEFINITION?
The IELTS definition begins with the expansion to the abbreviation- International English language testing system. IELTS meaning is generally coined as a test to prove your proficiency in the English language to make a candidate/applicant eligible to migrate to the English-speaking countries like Canada, USA, New Zealand, UK (United Kingdom), Ireland, Australia.
- The test improves your vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar
- The IELTS tests crucially assess your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills.
- The test duration is 2 hours and 45minutes
- The test can be taken either in pen and paper format or Computer delivered format
- There is no age limit for taking up the IELTS test, but the exam council recommends the test for the age group above 16.
- The IELTS test results are valid for 2 years from the date of exam.
What is the IELTS Test Format?
- There are two versions of the IELTS test, the general training and the academic one.
- Both versions will have four sections Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
- The test for the first three sections will be held on the same day without any breaks while the speaking test alone will be scheduled either on the same day or 7 days before or after the date according to the local circumstances.
IELTS Test format
- The Listening section is framed with 40 questions for 30 minutes
- The Reading section also comprises 40 questions for about 60 minutes
- The Writing section will ask you to accomplish 2 different tasks within the duration of 60 minutes.
- The speaking section will assess your spoken English in 3 parts for about 11-14 minutes.
Why is IELTS important?
- The approved language test stands mandatory for all the aspirants who wish to migrate not only to Canada but to most of the English-speaking countries where a widespread of job opportunities are open to them in all the important occupation sectors.
- Apart from the employment aspect, all the top educational institutions insist the IELTS score of the student who is interested to take up the study program in an international location.
- The IELTS test helps in the development of four basic language skills listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Why take IELTS?
- IELTS is accepted in almost 140 countries around the World, since it stands as proof to determine your proficiency in the English language, you will be eligible to apply for any international school and university.
- The IELTS score strengthens your application and stands as a prerequisite to enter any international domain.
- IELTS course covers both American and British English.
- IELTS benefit your career aspirations as well since you can work for any multi-national company as such they are accepted by over 10,000 organizations
IELTS Score Scale
The IELTS scores are calculated as follows;
Since the minimum requirement in each band is between 6 and 7, Let us take it this way, if a candidate’s score card is 7, 6.5,6, and 7.5 in listening, reading, writing and speaking respectively, the total IELTS band score would be calculated by taking the average of the section scores for E.g. (7+6.5+6+7.5)/4 =6.75.
In this calculation, it is important to know the point that the overall band score which is the result after taking the average of the section scores will be rounded up to the nearest 0.5. So in the above case, 6.75 band score may be rounded up and the IELTS score will be 7. But this is not applicable for the individual section score as they will be rounded down instead. For E.g., if your score in the reading section is 6.75, then it would be rounded down to 6.5 and not 7.
What’s the Right IELTS score?
The right IELTS score is measured with an overall band score requirement between 1- 10, and the candidates should make a minimum of 6 or 7 in each band to become eligible for migration to Canada and other countries for study, work and other purposes. The average of the listening, reading, writing and speaking parts of the test will determine your overall band score.
As per the requirement, the band score differs for both IELTS general training and the IELTS academic.
To determine your command and efficiency in the language, the IELTS band scores 9, 8, 7, and 6 are categorized as an expert user, a very good user, a good user and a competent user respectively. The description for the above skill levels are as follows:
Expert User- There is a complete understanding and you possess a full operational command of the language and your English is appropriate, accurate and fluent.
Very Good User- There is a fully operational command of the language with certain unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriate usage.
Good User- There is an operational command of the language with occasional inaccuracies and inappropriate usage, but you have understood the detailed reasoning and can handle well the complex language.
Competent User– You have an effective command of the language regardless of some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage, and misunderstandings. You posses the ability to use and understand fairly complex language in some familiar situations
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is there more than one version of the IELTS test?
Yes, there are two versions of IELTS test, the general training and the academic one but both the version of tests are designed to evaluate your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
IELTS Academic or IELTS general, which is easier?
Comparatively, IELTS general is a much easier version than the IELTS academic as the academic format is developed for candidates who want to pursue post-secondary degrees or take up any other study program in English-speaking countries while the IELTS general is suitable for non-academic purposes.
The general training would be mainly taken by skilled workers who want to migrate for employment purposes.
Which IELTS test should I go for?
You should take up the IELTS test in the general training option if you are processing your application through the express entry system since as per the language requirements of IRCC, the academic option is not considered valid for express entry candidates. For study purposes, doubtlessly you should attempt the academic version to be eligible for admission into International Colleges and Universities.
Can the IELTS test be completed in a single day?
The test for the first three sections Listening, Reading, and Writing will be held on the same day without any breaks while the speaking test alone will be scheduled either on the same day or 7 days before or after the date according to the local availability of examination centers.
Is there any limit on the number of times I can take the IELTS Test?
IELTS exam is scheduled throughout the year at regular intervals and there are no limits to the number of attempts, Hence a candidate can make it certain to try multiple times to get satisfactory results as per the language requirements. But the candidate has to be aware of the validity of the test results
How often is the IELTS Test offered?
- IELTS academic is conducted 4 times a month -48 times a year.
- IELTS General Training is conducted twice a month -24 times a year.
So, the IELTS exam is scheduled throughout the year at regular intervals, since there are no limits to the number of attempts, a candidate can make it certain to try multiple times to get satisfactory results.
Talk to our Experts
Croyez Immigration is helping in every possible aspect to fulfill your dream for work and settle in your dream country. We are assisting you with all programs like Express entry, General Skilled migration and Temporary visa. Nowadays its become a land of opportunity for the immigrants it’s time to take the opportunity and utilize it. We have an expert team to guide your application with value-added services. If you think to adapt a great lifestyle in Canada & Australia then Croyez Immigration is the right place to start.