Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) Canada
Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) is also known as bridging visa. BOWP is a welcome innovation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada foreign nationals. It was initiated to keep the workers in Canada, keep on working while their application for permanent residence is still in process. Bridging Open Work Permit lets the immigrants keep on working while they wait for their permanent residence.
Bridging Open Work Permit gives international skilled workers a chance to apply for permanent residence with less processing times. BOWP is different from other work permits in Canada. Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) will prevent immigrants from facing unnecessary disruptions, who are already on good terms with the country and already successfully contributing to the Canadian economy.
A Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) enables you to keep operating whereas you watch for the results of your permanent residence application. The Bridging visa is valid for an amount of six months or a lot. Dependent youngsters of a permanent residence applicant in any of the economic categories should acquire Associate in LMIA or have an LMIA exemption supporting their specific state of affairs to use for a Bridging open official document.
Basic Requirements for Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
- The immigrant should reside in Canada when he applies for BOWP.
- Work permit is only valid for four months or lesser than that.
- Passport validity of the immigrant should be for six months or more.
- The immigrant should have completed e-APR (electronic application for permanent residence) and submitted it under Express Entry.
- Should be a principal applicant on permanent residence application under one of the economic categories:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- Caring for children class
- Caring for people with high medical needs class.
- They have to meet some requirements for permanent residence. These requirements depend on the type of application immigrants submitted.
- Proof of payment for Open work permit holder.
- Stamp created by Canadian authority of your most up-to-date entry into Canada.
Advantages Of Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
- Bridging Visa is a lot of versatile than a specific work permit
- Can reside in Canada even if the immigrant’s Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) expires.
- A Bridging Visa helps the immigrant to explore the Canadian labour market.
- Furthermore, it is valid for six months or a longer period.
- Stay in Canada and rummage around for jobs even once losing your current job.
Eligibility Criterias for Bridging Open Work Permit
- Have a study visa or work permit.
- Meet the eligibility necessities for Permanent Residence.
- Complete Medical clearance and Police clearance.
- Submit a whole application for Permanent Residence.
- Proof of educational standing (For students).
- Employment contract between worker and employer (For Caregiver Program).
Bridging Open Work Permit and Family Members
If an Immigrant gets BOWP, then; he can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit for his family members. To qualify for the BOWP of the immigrant’s spouse or common-law partner, the immigrant must be a skilled worker (they must be working in NOC 0, A, or B position in Canada). There are some terms and conditions to be met by the BOWP applicants, to get an open work permit for their spouse or common-law partner via Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP):
- Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) must be valid for longer than 6 months.
- To the spouses or common-law partners of FSW applicants, the BOWP holder must be working in any of the NOC (National Occupational Classification) under skill levels 0, A, or B position in Canada.
- To the spouses or common-law partners of PNP applicants, the spouse of the immigrant is eligible to get the duration of the work permit of the PNP applicant, irrespective of their skill level of PNP applicant.
- To the spouses or common-law partners of FST applicants, the BOWP applicant must be working in one of the qualifying occupations in NOC skill level B.
- To the spouses of CEC applicants, there are no conditions like other categories.
Bridging Open Work Permit for PNP Applicants
- Immigrants who have applied through PNP need not worry about employment restrictions. Why because PNP immigrants do not have any restrictions for BOWP application.
- PNP immigrants have to submit a copy of their nomination letter when they are applying for a Bridging Open Work Permit.
- The employment location of the immigrant must be restricted within that nominating province.
Bridging Open Work Permit for Express Entry Applicants
- Express Entry immigrants need to submit all their documents listed in the document checklist.
- The immigrant should submit a copy of their acknowledgement of receipt letter. The letter they receive from the IRCC.
- There are no employment location restrictions to applicants under FSWP, CEC, or FSTC.
Required Documents For Bridging Open Work Permit
For Labour Market Impact Assessment
- Photocopies of your travel document.
- Photocopies of your current immigration document.
- Provide the LMIA copy and offer letter from the employer.
- Obtain an offer letter with employer number for inclusion in the work permit application.
- Letter from institutional registrar.
- Transcript of the last two periods of study.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I work while waiting for bridging open work permit?
Yes, you are allowed to work in Canada till the validity of your current work permit expires but it is recommended to apply for bridging open work permit at least 90 days before the expiry of your existing permit.
How long does a bridging work permit take?
It will approximately take about 3-4 months to process a bridging open work permit application.
Can I extend my open work permit while waiting for permanent residence?
The prime purpose of availing a Bridging open work permit is to stay and work in Canada till the time the Permanent residence applications are processed successfully, so you will not be at the end of extending your bridging open work permit as it is valid till the decision on your permanent resident status is known.
Can I change from a closed permit to a bridging open work permit?
Yes, on application to permanent residence, you can apply for bridging open work permit and change the status of your permit.
Why was my bridging open work permit rejected?
The following would be the most common reasons for the refusal of BOWP applications,
- Failed to meet the eligibility requirements
- Holding a Invalid or an expired work permit
- Submission of incomplete permanent residence application
- Due to the document insufficiency
- The purpose of stay may not sound satisfactory to the Visa officials
Can I apply for a bridging open work permit from Quebec?
Yes, the temporary foreign workers who are living in Quebec are eligible to present their applications for bridging open work permit if they have applied for permanent residency.
Talk to our Experts
Croyez Immigration is providing efficacious immigration services to fulfill the dreams of aspiring clients who wish to immigrate to a new country, we sincerely work to give you the best life you deserve. We are experts in processing almost all the categories of Canadian Immigration programs like Express Entry, General Skilled Migration, and other temporary visas. Canada, being the land of opportunities always heads up to welcome the potential immigrants and so we help you explore all the possibilities to change your life, Contact the expert consultants of Croyez Immigration for prompt assistance.