Canada is a preferred location for many visitors owing to various reasons, including academic, business opportunities, or personal endeavours. There are 5 different Canada Visa Types and residence permits, based on your objectives and individual circumstances. It includes a Canada visitor visa, Study Visa, Work Visa, and Permanent Resident Visa. The type of visa you’ll need is determined by your immigration status and the intent of your visit. You must choose the visa type that best serves your reason for traveling overseas.
What is a Canadian Visa?
A Canadian visa refers to a stamp on your passport, which permits you to travel to and stay in the country. It implies that the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in your home country has authorized you fulfill all the set requirements and are eligible to enter Canada.
There are different types of visas in Canada.
5 Different Canada Visa Types
There are different types of visas in Canada and the right one for you would depend on your purpose of visit and your status. You must choose one that is best suitable for your purpose of visiting Canada. What are the visa types in Canada? Read on to know.
The Canadian Visitor Visa
The Canadian Visitor Visa, also known as TRV (Temporary Resident Visa), is an immigration document, which permits foreign nationals to enter or travel to Canada. If you are not from a visa-exempt country, you will mandatorily need to have a visitor visa to travel to Canada. This visa is generally issued for a period of up to six months.
Canadian Visitor Visa Types
|Type of Temporary Visas
|This is a visitor’s visa that permits the visa holder to enter or travel to the country solely for tourism purposes. It could be either a single-entry visa or multiple-entry visa.
|Super visa is issued to grandparents or parents of Canadian citizens or those with a Permanent Resident (PR) status in Canada so that they can visit their grandchildren or children.
|Diplomatic and Official Visa
|Diplomatic and Official Visa allow officials and diplomats from foreign nations to visit Canada for official purposes. This visa is issued only to people holding a diplomatic or official passport.
|This visa is for those people who don’t meet the requirements for getting a Diplomatic and Official Visa, but still, their visit is regarded to be important due to their position and rank.
|This comes under the Canada business visa types. A business visa is issued to people who want to travel to Canada for business-related matters. This visa is usually valid for a period of up to six months.
|Temporary Residence Permit Visa
|A Temporary Residence Permit Visa is issued to individuals who want to visit Canada for varying purposes and are not eligible for the TRV (Temporary Resident Visa).
|Working Holiday Visa
|This Canadian visa is meant for young individuals from thirty nations to travel for work. The applicants will need to submit the application and they will be selected randomly.
|All foreign nationals from visa-required nations must get a transit visa in alignment with the immigration rules of Canada. They have to transit through the country in less than 48 hours if they don’t hold a valid visitor visa.
|This is issued for women who are pregnant and want to give birth in Canada. However, they have to meet certain conditions. When born here, the newborn becomes a Canadian citizen.
|Organ Donor Visa
|This visa is meant for individuals who want to travel to Canada to donate a lifesaving organ to a permanent resident or citizen of Canada who is in need of medical assistance.
|This visa is issued to a Canadian citizen who possesses dual citizenship. It is meant for those citizens who don’t have a Canadian passport.
|Temporary Work Visa
|A Canadian temporary work visa is issued to candidates who have a job offer in the country for less than 6 months. The applicant has to submit a valid offer letter from the Canadian company.
Permanent Residence Visas
Permanent Residence Visas are given to people who want to live, work and settle in Canada. Also known as an immigrant visa, there are different types of visa in Canada for Indians. The different Canada visa types for Indians who want to get PR status are summarized in the table below.
|Types of Permanent Residence Visas
|The Immigrant Investor Program
|This program is for individuals who wish to invest in the Canadian economy. Their net worth must be a minimum of CAD $800,000. Also, they should be able to invest a minimum of CAD &400,000. The Government of Canada will return this amount without interest in five years.
|The Startup Visa Program
|This program is for individuals who want to personally involve themselves and contribute to the economy of Canada. They must have a net worth of a minimum of CAD &300,000. The applicant should be ready to own and manage 1/3rd of the Canadian business so that he can create employment and maintain the same within 3 years of being in Canada.
|Family Sponsorship Program
|This program aims at reuniting families. It lets dependents and spouses of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to immigrate to Canada on a permanent basis. However, sponsors should pledge to support the family members for 3-10 years.
|Self-Employed Persons Visa
|This visa is given to people who have skills in culture, athletics, farming, recreation, agriculture, marketing, or business. Candidates who have this visa can begin their own Canadian venture. However, they must show their skills in specific areas and explain how they will fund the business.
|Live-In Caregiver Program
|This visa is issued to people who are qualified to care for disabled people, the elderly, or children. When in Canada, they will have to stay in private homes.
Express Entry Program Visas
Express Entry is one of the most popular Canada visa types for work. It is divided into three categories, each of which caters to diverse aspects of the economy of Canada.
|Types of Express Entry Visas
|Skilled Workers Visa
|Candidates who are applying for a visa under this category must earn a minimum of 67 points in the CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System to be eligible. They should also show that they have sufficient funds for financially supporting themselves and their family members.
Candidates who get selected from the pool will qualify to apply for the PR (Permanent Resident) status. This visa will permit the holder and family members to live and work in Canada permanently.
|Skilled Trades Visa
|International skilled tradesmen qualify to apply for PR status under this category. Based on the CRS score of all applicants, they get ranked in order. The highest scoring candidates get an invitation to apply for PR status through draws as needed.
|Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
|Candidates who apply for PR under the CEC qualify if they are presently in Canada on a study permit or a temporary foreign worker visa. However, they should meet the below criteria:
A minimum of twelve months of experience working in Canada in the previous three years
Ready to reside outside Quebec
Meet the minimum French or English language requirements
Provincial Nominee Program Visas
The Provincial Nominee Program Visa is for workers who want to live in a specific province and become permanent resident of Canada. The candidate must have the education, work experience, and skills to contribute to the local economy (i.e., the economy of that specific territory or province). Each territory and province has its own immigration programs with different requirements and targeting specific groups.
Canada Student Visa
The Canadian Study Permit is a document that permits foreign citizens to pursue their studies at DLIs (Designated Learning Institutions) in Canada. However, this study permit differs from a visa that lets you travel to Canada. In addition to this study permit, you must apply for a Student Visa, provided you meet the eligibility criteria. This visa is needed if the duration of your course is more than 6 months. International students should have a TRV visa if the duration of their course is less than six months.
Basic Eligibility Criteria for the Different Types of Canadian Visa.
To be eligible to apply for a Canadian visa, applicants must meet these basic requirements:
- Possess a valid passport.
- Maintain good health.
- Have no felonious or immigration-related offenses.
- Persuade the immigration officer that you have ties to your country of origin.
- Persuade the officer that you will depart Canada after your visit.
- Have enough money to pay for your stay in the country.
- Present a medical examination report if required.
- Letter of invitation from a Canadian resident.
Documents Generally Required for all Types of Canadian Visas
While applying for any Canadian visa, you must submit a few important documents along with your application form. If these documents are included, your visa can be processed, and you may get accepted. Here is a list of documents that are generally needed for all kinds of Canadian visas:
- Canada Visa Application Form: Get the appropriate form from your country’s Canadian embassy or consulate. You can also download it online from the official website of the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada). Duly fill out this form and submit it along with the documents in the checklist.
- Valid Passport: You must furnish photocopies of your passport’s information page (the page that includes your photograph, name, date of birth, place of residence, passport number, issue date, and expiry date).
- Civil Status and Identity Documents: You must attach a copy of your identity and civil status documents along with the application. This can include your national identity card, birth certificate, or marriage certificate.
- Visa Fee Receipt: There are two kinds of fees you will have to pay (the processing fee for the visa application and the biometric fees). Attach the receipts of these along with your application form. The fee will differ depending on your purpose of travel.
- Photographs: You will have to submit two passport photographs as per Canadian visa requirements.
- Proof That You Will Return to Your Home Country: You will need to prove to the immigration authorities that you intend to return to your home country before your visa expires. For this, you can submit lease agreements or title deeds of your properties in your home country, evidence of employment, or proof of your responsibilities in your home country.
- Proof of Adequate Funds: You must prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while in Canada. You can submit your employment letter that reveals your annual income, bank statements, proof of income of your host in Canada, or proof of getting financial support from friends or family.
- Medical Test Reports: You need to submit your medical test report issued by a physician who is approved by the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) panel. This report serves as evidence that your health is in good condition. This report is only necessary if you stay in Canada for at least six months.
- Police Clearance Certificate: This certificate proves that you don’t have any past criminal records and don’t pose a danger to the civil society of Canada. So, you have to attach a copy of the police clearance certificate with your application.
Letter Explaining Your Purpose of Visit: This letter could be in the form of the contact details of people supporting your visit purpose, an invitation letter from your Canadian sponsor, or any other document supporting your travel.
If you are thinking about moving to Canada you must have the appropriate visa. The presence of a passport stamp indicates that the Canadian Embassy in your nation has decided the visitor is eligible to visit Canada and satisfies all requirements.
Processing the appropriate visa application is the first step if you have made the decision to relocate to Canada. Although you can apply for it yourself, the laborious process can be difficult.
Being turned down after putting so much effort and time into your application is not a nice experience. So, to increase your chances of a successful application, think about hiring the best immigration consultants in Bangalore. The industry professionals are skilled and aware of the visa process and will offer you a hassle-free process.