Several data trends show that the pandemic throughout the world isn’t over yet. So you must know the special regulations under which a foreign country like Canada would allow travellers. Of course, the most important thing you need for visiting Canada is a visitor visa in Canada. There’s no way you can see the country without it. But if you’re already staying in Canada and want to prolong your stay during this pandemic, then there are certain things you need to know.
When is the right time to apply?
You should apply for the extension of your visitor visa in Canada before your current status as a visitor expires. The visa validity is different for different visiting purposes. The validity of each visa type is given below:
- Temporary resident visa (or visitor visa): 6 months
- Study permit: Duration of the study period and an additional 90 days.
- Work permit: As long as your agreement with the organization is valid.
- Transit visa: Up to 48 hours.
If you are lengthening your stay as a temporary resident or a visitor, you must apply for your extension 30 days before your status expires.
How to extend your stay in Canada?
If you are already staying in Canada as a visitor, you might know what documents you will need. You don’t have to apply for your visitor visa in Canada or electronic travel authorization (eTA) (as an eTA is valid for 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first). however, to extend your stay in Canada, you have to apply for a visitor record.
What is a visitor record?
A visa and a visitor record are not the same. A visitor record is a crucial document that a border services officer issues with marking the extension or restriction of your stay in the country. It is an independent document as it is not attached to the passport. A visitor record also includes an expiry date which marks the end of your visitor visa in Canada.
- You have to apply for your visitor record 30 days before the expiry of your visitor visa in Canada.
- You have to continue fulfilling your responsibilities, because of which your visitor visa in Canada has been approved.
- You cannot work or study without the authorization of any known institute or organization. If you’ve done so, you have committed an offense under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. In such a case, you will ordered to leave Canada.
- You have to fulfill the requirements of the type of visa holder you’re currently residing as for getting an extension.
Steps to apply for an extension of temporary status
- To fill your application, you need all the relevant documents to apply for a visitor visa in Canada.
- Provide as much information as you can. Don’t provide inaccurate information. That might lead to the revocation of the application. If you don’t know what information to provide for certain sections of the form, you can always find and contact the best consultant for Canada PR.
- Preserve a duplicate copy of the application form for future reference.
- Sign your form carefully and put the correct date on it.
- Finally, submit your application online along with all the necessary documents
- Don’t forget to pay the fees.
Follow these steps meticulously you would not have any problem. However, if you have any other family member staying with you in Canada and they want to extend your stay, then a separate application is required. If you have any more queries about how to apply for extension, then you may contact a consultant. There are plenty of good consultants out there, Croyez Immigration being one of the best consultants for Canada PR.
Also Read: Pro-Tips For Canadian Investor Visa
What happens after submission of the application?
After you’ve submitted your application, it will take some time for it to get approved. Finally, your application will reach the Case Processing Centre.
They will review your application and determine if it is complete. If they find your application incomplete, they will reject it and consider it not submitted, hence you have to apply for a new request or leave the country. But if your application is complete, then it will be reviewed. If they find all your documents authentic and the reason for the stay legal and permissible, they will send you a visitor record, a work or study permit.
If your application is not approved, they will send you a letter of refusal or notify you that your application has been transferred to local Canada Immigration Centre for further assessment.
Once the local Canadian Immigration Centre receives your application, they will contact you for extra details. They might even call you for an interview. After clarifying all the details you have provided, they will notify you through the mail of their decision.
Information you need to provide for an extension of your temporary status
According to every best consultant for Canada PR, you have to positively provide these documents without fail to extend your visitor status. These documents are:
- Detailed reason on why you want to stay longer.
- Valid identity proof provided by your country.
- Documents proving your current status in Canada.
- Documents that show how you support yourself in Canada and pay for your transportation cost if you have to leave the country. For example, a guarantor’s letter, bank statement holding details of the account holder, i.e., you, etc.
- Date on which your visitor visa is no longer valid and the date of your departure.
For more queries you can always contact the best consultant for Canada PR and get your problems solved.
Now that you know how to apply for your temporary visitor status extension, you should start filling up your application form. As long as you provide authentic documents to the authorities and provide all details accurately and truthfully, your application is going to be approved. So don’t worry about it getting rejected. You can apply for an extension as many times as you want. If you travel in and out of Canada frequently, you need a fully updated eTA and a valid visitor visa passport. Also, if you’re wondering if there’s an age limit for this application, no, there isn’t. As long as you follow these aforementioned rules, you’re good to go. We hope that you can get your extension approved and this article has helped you to understand the rules and regulations.