International business entrepreneurs by the thousands visit Canada every year to invest in businesses run by Canadian citizens. If you’re looking to do the same, you will need a Business visa to Canada. Eligible applicants can obtain this visa to explore business opportunities throughout the country while also traveling for leisure and experience the country’s culture.
What Makes You a Business Visitor?
The first thing you must do is understand what the requisites are for being a business visitor. Two key factors make you a business visitor:
- If you partake in business activities without being involved in the Canadian labor market
- If you want to visit Canada to explore business opportunities, invest, or improve your business relationships
Business visitors are allowed to stay in the country for up to 6 months. Usually, they remain in the country for a few days to a few weeks. The Canadian Embassy may grant you a visa lasting for 3,5 or 10 years, but you cannot stay there for more than six months at a time.
Qualifications for a Business Visa to Canada
- Visit for less than six months.
- No plans to enter the Canadian labor market
- Your source of income, business, and profits are outside of Canadian territory.
- Must have all the documents to support your business visa application
- Must qualify for all the basic entry requirements – a valid travel document (passport), enough money for the visit and return, leave the country when the stay concludes, and are not a risk (criminal, security, or health) to the citizens of Canada.
Please note that you will need to apply for a work permit if you plan to stay in Canada for more than six months to work. This is because you might be considered a temporary worker in that case.
What You Can Do in Canada on a Business Visa
You may do the following things while in Canada on a business visa:
- Buy goods and services in Canada for businesses in foreign lands
- Providing goods and services in Canada
- Attending meetings, conferences, trade fairs, or trade fairs
- Providing after-sales service as a part of sales or warranty
- Attend training by a company based in Canada for which you work outside of Canada
- Train employees of a foreign company’s branch in Canada
- Attend training by a company based in Canada from which you have bought goods or services
What You Need to Enter Canada on a Business Visa
As of 7th September 2021, you may be able to visit Canada if you qualify for the fully vaccinated traveler exemption. However, you will also need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or another valid travel document. In addition, in some cases, visitors must provide biometrics (photo and fingerprints when applying for a business visitor visa.
Please note that business people are considered different from business visitors—the former visit Canada to work in Canada under a free trade agreement.
Business Visa Canada Benefits
Every person holding a valid business visitor visa can travel across the country till their visa expires. They may:
- Visit friends and family or travel for sightseeing or other leisure activities.
- Attend business meetings, trade shows, meet with prospective clients, explore profitable business opportunities, and explore ways to extend their stay in Canada
All business visitor visa holders may enjoy the freedom to explore the delights of Canada without any immigration visa like a Canadian travel visa or work permit.
Professional Help for Immigration
The Canadian business visa application process might seem simple. Unfortunately, it is anything but that. The complicated procedures involved in applying for a Canadian work visa Canada visa processing time are unknown to many people who do not seek the assistance of an immigration attorney.
Most of the time, people who want to work in Canada but have not been properly prepared might be denied entry. This is because of the country’s high immigration standards. Getting a business visa can be a bit challenging due to the various steps involved. Having the proper documentation can make all the difference in ensuring that you can attend a meeting successfully. It is recommendable to get professional help for a business or startup visa to Canada for these reasons.
Business Visa Canada Processing Time
The Canadian Embassy might take anywhere between 1 to 6 weeks to process your business visa. Therefore, ensure applying on time and plan the itinerary accordingly.
Details for Dependents on Business Visa
The business visa does not allow dependents – spouse, common-law partner, or children – to accompany you on your business trip to Canada. If they need to visit alongside, they must apply for a visitor visa.
Differences Between Business Visa and Work Permit
A work permit and a business visa are pretty different. As mentioned earlier, you will be allowed to work in Canada on a business visa. They are meant to enable short visits for business purposes. You will need a work permit if you are transferred to the Canadian branch of your company or directly employed by a company based in Canada. You may look for work in Canada on a visitor visa.
To be able to work in Canada legally, you need a work permit. For example, suppose you land a job while on a visitor visa to Canada; you must apply for a work permit before starting the career. Similarly, it would be best to have a startup visa to Canada, i.e., a work permit to open a small business there. You may stay in Canada if your visitor visa is valid until your work permit application is processed.