If you plan to apply for a Canada visa to work, getting a Red Seal Certification can certainly help. This certification is specifically for skilled trade workers and will give you a direct advantage over other applicants. After the Covid-19 pandemic, the Canadian government has significantly increased immigration levels to meet the labor deficit.
Skilled tradespersons are in high demand, so it is the right time to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) with a Red Seal Endorsement (RSE) for most traders. More than anything else, it improves your chances of getting a visa even without a job offer.
An Overview of the Red Seal Certification
Formally known as Red Seal Endorsement or RSE, this is a trade certification to show that your skills are at par with Canadian standards. Close to 50 occupations under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) qualify for this endorsement.
Passing a 4-hour written examination is all it takes to the RSE stamp on your application. To be eligible for this exam, you need to have completed at least four years of apprenticeship in your field. The examination format is multiple choice, and the passing marks stand at 70 percent. All the questions asked specifically relate to your trade.
Benefits of RSE for your Canada Visa to Work
The remunerations, perks, and respect for skilled tradespersons are impressive across Canada. Hence, the immigration authorities expect immigrant skill levels to be at par with the highest standards. It is not an explicit requirement that you compulsorily need RSE to qualify for the FSTP. Yet, it adds significant value to your profile and provides multiple benefits as outlined below:
Opens up your Prospects to Work across Multiple Canadian Provinces:
If your work visa application denotes RSE, you don’t need to apply for separate work permits for different provinces. This reduces paperwork and opens up excellent job prospects even if you immigrate without an offer in hand.
Helps you earn a Higher Salary:
Without the Red Seal Certification, you might have to start your professional ascent in Canada with minimal stipulated wages. You will mostly have to work your way up from the bottom tier. On the other hand, arming yourself with RSE will make you eligible for higher-paying jobs at the very outset.
Boosts your Credentials for Canadian PR:
As a skilled tradesperson, if you aim to work and settle in Canada permanently, RSE can bolster your chances. As mentioned earlier, the country is currently facing a massive shortage of skilled labor. If your profession is listed under the ‘in-demand occupations’ list and comes under the RSE purview, getting certified is recommended.
Are you Eligible to Apply for Red Seal Endorsement?
You are eligible to take the RSE Written Test if you comply with the following requirements:
- You need to be an experienced trade worker.
- You need to have completed a minimal 4-year apprenticeship period in Canada within your trade specialization.
- You need to furnish your Trade Certificate as Valid Proof.
- You don’t need a college degree, but you need at least a diploma to qualify.
- You need to have 4 to 6 years of work experience as a tradesperson (this includes the 4-year apprenticeship period).
Remember, you can only take the RSE test if you fulfill the above criteria. Furthermore, your listed trade needs to be mentioned under the latest Red Seal Trades List.
How to Apply for a Canadian Work Visa Via the Red Seal Program?
It is best to contact a trustworthy immigration consultant to take you through the procedures in detail. The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) is the legal body that permits immigration consultants to assist aspiring immigrants. They are also authorized to brief applicants about the Provincial Nominee Program Canada, the Red Seal Endorsement, and so on.
Here is a quick overview of how to apply for a Canadian work visa while qualifying and appearing for the Red Seal Endowment:
- Pick the Canadian Province to apply for your Open Work Visa.
- Check the FSTP, PNP, and RSE Criteria in detail. Get your documents ready, photocopied, and attested accordingly.
- Download the registration forms, fill them out, and cross-check the details filled meticulously.
- Submit the form and pay the registration fees alongside.
- Obtain endorsement letters from the relevant parties and certifying authorities as required.
- Get all the relevant study material for the Red Seal Examination from the specific trade bodies. You can also take help from your visa consultant to get the study material.
- If you are temporarily residing in Canada, you can take the exam right away after preparation. However, if you are outside Canada, you need to get a temporary visa to go there and take the exam.
- Once you have taken the exam, you can go ahead and wait for the results in Canada. Else, you can return to your country of origin and await the results.
- If you score above 70 percent in the red seal exam, you will be endowed with the RSE certification. Thereon, you can include this certification in your work visa applications. This will also improve your chances of getting a job offer and PR visa via FSTP, PNP, or the Express Entry Program.
Not just for the FSTP, but even for the Provincial Nominee Program Canada, RSE can be of great help. It affirms that your work skills match the latest Canadian work standards for different trades. In the long run, it will help you gain long-term employment and permanent resident status as a skilled foreign worker.
While the above directives about the Red Seal Program are noteworthy, you should ideally liaise with a certified immigration consultant. The Canadian government has authorized RCICs (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants) to provide genuine visa and immigration assistance. Be it getting your RSE eligibility paperwork together or preparing for the RSE exam, an RCIC will guide you best.
Connect with us today!